Monday, July 24, 2006

Chapter LVI: Static Motion

Image of the Day: Miró/Calder Imitation (Ink, then Photoshop)
I'm captivated by this drawing, but I don't know why. Something about how the composition is perfectly balanced, yet at the same time retains an ineffable sense of movement.

Or maybe I just can't accept the fact that it is utterly nonrepresentational, and my brain is subconsciously searching for meaning. What is it supposed to be? A dog? A man on a bicycle? Leaves on a plant? A stylized time-lapse image of an oar moving through the air and into the water? Or something deeper...a symbol, perhaps? Of what?

As the artist, I should be the most qualified to answer that question (if anyone is). But I can't. I made it several months ago, and I don't remember what I was thinking at the time, except that it was inspired by a Calder mobile.

I think it's least meaningful thing I've ever made, but at the same time the most formally ideal, in terms of composition, color, line, etc. Very strange.

No comments: