Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Chapter LXIV: UnAmerican

Image of the Day: Intercepted by the Secret Service (Illustrator)




















You are thinking that I should retitle my blog "Crap I Made In Five Minutes Using Adobe Illustrator." But you see, that would be inaccurate...some of this stuff only took four minutes.

Not to worry though, me thinks the Illustrator fad will only last until I exhaust my supply of art to digitize
. The original medium of today's chef d'oevre was, as you might have guessed, crayon on 8.5x11 paper, produced three years ago as a joke. It was fun recreating all the nuances of 1st grader handwriting.

Along the anti-Bush vein, I watched a flash music video today, titled
(Didn't Know I Was) UnAmerican, by Ian Rhett. It's pretty cool, yadda yadda yadda*, you should watch it.

Actually, labeling it as "anti-Bush" is misleading. It's more...pro-world, if that makes sense. I think that's why it was more resonant--for me--than two hours of Fahrenheit 9/11.

I had earphones on and had been doing my online French listening exercises, which are ever so fun. Today, the lady on the tape/mp3 sang "Frère Jacques," known to les américains as "Are You Sleeping?" This was fine and dandy, except it was sung at an abnormally slow tempo (probably to aid comprehension) and with zero accompaniment, such that it passed from being a cute lullaby to actually sounding hypnotic and sinister.

Tangentially related: a flash music video I saw on Larry King Live last year, about corporate irresponsibility/outsourcing: BigBoxMart. This one starts playing right when you click the link. It's set to the tune of "Oh Susanna" and quite catchy (though depressing).

*Each yadda represents 1.53 sentences of effusive praise.

No comments: